Mole literally means sauce and negro means black, together they make a delicious Mexican dark chocolate sauce for Chicken.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large Chicken breasts cut into chunks (you can use chicken pieces on the bone too if you prefer)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- half teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock (preferably homemade!)
- 2 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 50g dark chocolate (70%)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- tortillas or rice and cashew nuts to serve
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, set aside.
- In the same skillet, sautee the onion, peppers and garlic until soft. Stir in chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, peanut butter, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Using a blender, blend the sauce with the chocolate until smooth.
- Place the chicken into a large heavy bottomed pan or use the skillet if its big enough. Pour the sauce over chicken, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Serve with warm tortillas or rice, garnished with a few crushed cashew nuts.
Make a night of it
Serve with Tequila shots of Mexican beer like Sol, add a little Mexican Mariachi music and you could almost be there. Take a look at some of our Mexican fiestas, go to town and theme anything from the wildest party or most select dinner party around one of these colourful celebrations.
And for dessert!
No Mexican fiesta is complete without a pinata! The 7 point star is traditional but there are lots of other designs to choose from. Fill it with sweets and take turns to bash it with a stick until they all fall out!