The secret to a good risotto is a good homemade broth (or stock). For this you can simply boil up chicken bones and giblets, an onion, a carrot, a piece of celery and a bay leaf plus salt and black pepper, for a couple of hours. Strain the liquid though a fine mesh and discard all the bones and vegetables. Always good to have in the fridge for so many recipes!
- 320g Rissotto rice
- 1 litre hot chicken stock
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 40g butter
- 1glass of dry white wine
- Approx 50g freshly grated Parmesan
If you want you can add a finely chopped courgette or leek at stage 1, or some chopped asparagus or peas about halfway through stage 3. Anything goes here really, mushrooms, cooked chicken pieces, whatever you fancy.
- Using a heavy bottomed pan sauté the onion in the butter until soft
- Add the rice and coat well until it goes transparent
- Add the wine and stir until it has evaporated. Add a ladleful of the hot stock and simmer until it has been absorbed then add another. Continue in this way for about 18 – 20 minutes until the rice is cooked. It should be tender and creamy but slightly firm in the centre.
- Stir in the Parmesan, taste to add seasoning
- Cover and leave to stand for 2 minutes
DrinkA good Italian Pinot Grigio is best with this Risotto
Make a night of itServe your Risotto to the sounds of the Italian tenors. Finish with Italian Ice cream, then top it off with the best in Italian coffee. Go to town and find one of our fabulous Italian festas to theme a night with friends.
These white church candles give a beautiful ambiance to an evening. Fill your home with them, you can never have too many!