Svenska våfflor or Swedish waffles have their very own day in Sweden! Even if it is only due to a simple mistake! March 25th is Lady day (the day when the angel Gabriel announced the birth of Jesus to Mary) or “Vårfrudagen” in Swedish. Vårfrudagen sounds similar to Våffeldagen (waffle day) in popular speech, giving way to the wonderful tradition of spending the entire day eating waffles with jam and whipped cream!
- 50g plain flour
- 200ml water
- 50 g whipped cream
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the flour, salt and water into a smooth batter.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Stir in the melted butter, and spoon into the griddle to cook.
- Serve with jam of your choice and whipped cream.
Scandinavian design homeware